Atmosphere and specifics
- The Schepenbuurt is a neighborhood in Utrecht-West
- The street names have ships as their theme. In the middle of the neighborhood is a small block of public green, which serves as a park
- The Schepenbuurt is a small rectangular block on the edge of the Cartesiusweg business park. The neighborhood is bordered by the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal, the site of the timber trade Ret, the Cartesiusweg and the Utrecht-Gouda railway line
- The coffee factory Douwe Egberts is located on the edge of the district
- The houses in this district were mainly built in the 40s and 50s of the last century
- New developments: “Werkspoorkwartier”. This is the new name for the Cartesiusweg business park. This name refers to the former factories of the Werkspoor and where train wagons were produced in the last century until the 1970s. Together with the companies, the municipality is developing a creative and urban care business park. The Werkspoorkathedraal is one of the few halls from the Werkspoor era that has been preserved. Industrial buildings of this type are being redeveloped for creative parties with meeting places and catering establishments. In addition, pedestrian and bicycle connections will be created from the Zuilen station to the site. In the development vision, the choice for the construction of offices, large-scale leisure and homes is (so far) excluded.