Previous slide
Next slide


Atmosphere and specifics

  • The first houses in Transwijk date back to the 1960s. Some areas, like Welgelegen, were built decades later.
  • Transwijk is made of the districts Transwijk-Noord and Zuid, Merwedekanaal (to be distinguished from Industrial estate Kanaleneiland-Zuid) which includes the local streetwalking zone (Tippelzone) and apartment building City Campus MAX.
  • The name Transwijk comes from a farm that stood at the Wethouder Diemontlaan until the 1950s. Previously, this was the Galecopperdijk, but after the construction of the Amsterdam-Rijnkanaal, the part from Hotel Den Hommel to the channel was changed into Wethouder Diemontlaan (after an alderman of the former town of Oudenrijn of which the grounds were part until 1954, when it was annexed by Utrecht). On the fence posts of the farm of the De Wit family the name "Trans-Weik" was written.
  • The green pearl in this neighbourhood is Park Transwijk, constructed between 1959 and 1964. In park has a children's farm, restaurant and various festivals (such as the Bevrijdingsfestival) are organised here.
  • There are also many housing and care facilities for the elderly.
  • New developments "Merwedekanaalzone", in the area Europaplein/Tippelzone ca. 6,000 - 10,000 sustainable houses are being built.

Construction years

Age distribution